Monday, September 24, 2007

Day 2 (evening)

Its 12:35 am but I'm sort of on 1/2 U.S. and 1/2 Roma time....so I'll make my post. My plan was to meet Lorenzo and Allison for dinner at 9pm in the Jewish Ghetto. I agreed to call them at 8pm to make arrangements. I had stayed in my room for about 3 hours after I got back from shopping and the Vatican. When I called Lorenzo told me to take the cab to "Il Ghetto" and go to Via Santa Maria Del Anima. I got in the cab and the driver did not speak English. He drove around for a while then said its just there, then he pointed right and said left. I got out wandered around for a while but no Via Santa Maria Del Anima. I asked someone who spoke English and she pointed me somewhere. Still no Via Santa Maria Del Anima. I got in a 2nd cab and we drove for like 2 minutes. I got out and there was the street. Now Lorenzo's instructions to me were, "Its the only building on the right side before I hit the ghetto. See the door, look for Ricciardelli on the doorbell and ring. If I can't find it, just start yelling "Lorenzo" and they will here me. So I walk the whole street. I'm on the right one, I found the sign but no bell with that name. I start yelling Lorenzo, Lorenzo, Lorenzo. People start looking at me funny. Then I goto a pay phone and call him. I tell him I'm in front of the Insalada Ristorante, and he says he will be right down. 15 minutes go by no Lorenzo. I call again...he has no idea where I am. So I say where are they going, he says Roscioli on Via De Gibonare. I get in a 3rd cab tell him to take there. I get out walk the whole street, cannot find the restaurant. I ask someone they say its around the corner, but its CLOSED!! I go to it and its like an Italian deli. I walk back to the street and then I see it Roscioli . I walk in and see Lorenzo and Allison. 3 hours later we are walking around having Gelato. The meal was delicious we started with an assortment of salamis, etc, and bread. Then I had small Penne with a fresh red sauce and little pieces of beef. Perfecto. By the way, the reason I couldn’t find it because Lorenzo gave me the wrong street name…LOL oh well. Ciao

3 comments:

Unknown said...

What Lorenzo gave you the wrong directions? There's no way dude!
COL (chuckle out loud)

Anonymous said...

Who needs street names when you can just call out "Lorenzo, Lorenzo!"? I'll try that the next time I'm in Montreal...Funny story Josh.

-Joe

Unknown said...

To anonymous:

Are you the guy from Curb Your... on HBO?

(Not funny if you don't watch HBO)