Got to the airport early….baggage and security were uneventful. Took a very scary taxi ride from Da Vinci to my airport. I avoided the car services and took a white cab. Good news was I got there fast and alive, but he was pushing 90. I got to my hotel and was latterly shocked at the size of my room with a window overlooking a dark hole of an allley. It was the size of my bathroom…a single bed….I know this is Italy but this was absurd. After unpacking I thought about what Amy would have said, and I went down and told them, that I’m hear for a week that I needed some sun. No problem…they moved me to a lovely room with a view of the Colleseum. I got online and uploaded yesterday’s blog, then I promptly crashed for 3 hours. When I woke up I showered and headed to the Colleseum.
The biggest surprise for me was that it was built in only 8 years. I had a very quirky Australian tour guide (the books suggested taking a tour). Here is me at the Colisium:
The biggest surprise for me was that it was built in only 8 years. I had a very quirky Australian tour guide (the books suggested taking a tour). Here is me at the Colisium:

For 20 Euro, I got a tour of the Collisieum, and a tour of the Palatine Hill: “it’s a leafy retreat with pretty gardens and sweeping views of the ancient city.” Here is a nice shot from Palatine Hill: 
When I got back to the room I called the fam and checked in. Then I called my friend Lorenzo. His fathers’ city place is about 5 minutes past the Collisium, meaning about a 15 minute walk for me. Dinner was called for 7:30. I arrived at 6:45. It’s the 7th floor flat overlooking the ancient city. Including a deck where dinner was served. It was Lorenzo and his family plus cousins, friends, it was a delightful party. Dinner was served over a period of two and a ½ hours between 8 and 10:30. I had several glasses of delicious wine and an appertif that you can only get in Italy. Food included two kinds of pastas, tomatoes and mozzarella, and the main course was broiled rabbit. Dessert was apple pie and chocolate pie, Italian style. Here is one of the pasta dishes, Fettacini ala Funghi:

When I got back to the room I called the fam and checked in. Then I called my friend Lorenzo. His fathers’ city place is about 5 minutes past the Collisium, meaning about a 15 minute walk for me. Dinner was called for 7:30. I arrived at 6:45. It’s the 7th floor flat overlooking the ancient city. Including a deck where dinner was served. It was Lorenzo and his family plus cousins, friends, it was a delightful party. Dinner was served over a period of two and a ½ hours between 8 and 10:30. I had several glasses of delicious wine and an appertif that you can only get in Italy. Food included two kinds of pastas, tomatoes and mozzarella, and the main course was broiled rabbit. Dessert was apple pie and chocolate pie, Italian style. Here is one of the pasta dishes, Fettacini ala Funghi:

Here is a nice shot of Lorenzo and I up on their beautiful porch overlooking the Colisium:

When they started to break out the pix of Sicily, I said I had to go and I did…I am so beat.

3 comments:
I am so glad that you got to get a family experience in Italy. That's the true way to experience Italian Culture. Italians are so warm and friendly. They really welcome you into their homes. Plus the food is always authentic and delicious... no touristico crappy food. Have an awesome time!! Did you get to the forum too? Have fun!! Love this blog page.
Wonderful -- what an amazing experience. I want that pasta recipe!!!
I bet I have that recipe...
Post a Comment